Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Salmon are Running!

Well, I hope everyone had a great weekend like I did. It was not rainy for most of the weekend (a first in many months) AND my parents brought me to Ward Lake to see the salmon run. You can actually see the salmon run up the creeks in the middle of town, but we have had 4 or 5 cruise ships in port daily which makes town quite crowded.

It was a beautiful day in Ketchikan so we packed my treats and off we went to the Lake.





This is me greeting some inferior breed who happened to be camping at the Lake with her parents. I was tempted to swipe her red leash since it coordinates with my harness perfectly!





This is a kingfisher. Odd name for a bird, I thought. Mommy said the blue color of its feathers is much more luscious in person . . . I don't know about that . . . I only knew I couldn't climb up there to attack it!




This is me with my X-Ray Vision. Yes all you bloggers out there -- I can see right through your clothes!




Daddy took all these next pictures as I was too busy chasing after the salmon. You can see them in the shallow creek. Sorry about the smudge in the middle of the picture -- it was condensation on the camera lens



The dark or white bodies are salmon. There were lots of dead salmon at the edges of the creek . . . all exhausted from trying to get back to the lake from the ocean



I am so proud of Daddy for his underwater pictures: you can see the salmon all looking at the camera!




"Get that camera out of my face . . . it's hard enough trying to swim back to the lake, avoiding the whales, seals, sharks, and fishermen without the paparazzi hounding you all the time!"



Alas, the fish were too fast for me -- I was unable to catch any myself. This means I will have to start training for next year's salmon run!

14 comments:

♥Lisa and The Pug Posse ♥ said...

Thats a whole lotta salmon!

Unknown said...

Wow - underwater photos!! We are so impressed. And we didn't know Salmon had such meany-puss faces!

Archie and Melissa said...

wow frances!
what great pictures! you live in an amazing place!
xo
m & e

Page said...

I'm surprised there weren't any bears munching on salmon! Sorry you didn't catch any, Frances!

Anonymous said...

Your parents didn't let you eat the dead ones? lol
That is really neat to see! I saw a creek a few years ago in the middle of a salmon run, you couldn't see the bottom!!

Anonymous said...

Tony's brother is a "fish cop" for Canada and he took us to the Babine River salmon run. It was very cool! But the part that was the coolest was all the Grizzly Bears eating the salmon! We got to stand on a bridge and take pictures. There was even a momma bear and two cubs :) One of my favorite nature trips for sure!

Anonymous said...

Tony's brother is a "fish cop" for Canada and he took us to the Babine River salmon run. It was very cool! But the part that was the coolest was all the Grizzly Bears eating the salmon! We got to stand on a bridge and take pictures. There was even a momma bear and two cubs :) One of my favorite nature trips for sure!

The Devil Dog said...

Wow, that is so COOL! Lookit all the salmon! And the water is so shallow. That was really, really neat. Thanks!

Roxy

Sandy said...

Oh my goodness..those pictures are great! You are so lucky to live where you can catch and eat that fresh, wild salmon. When we were on the cruise up there, they had a day where you could just eat all the salmon you wanted and it was so fresh. I want to do that again so bad but I can't bring myself to get on a plane at all and the thought of flying as far to where you live may never happen for me...but that beautiful scenery and salmon....I can always dream.

Puddleglum said...

Flippin' pawesome pics, Frances!

I LOVES ME SOME SALMON!! Yummy yummy yummy....

Nevis said...

Awesome pics, Frances! And you're looking at us nakey right now? Dirty pug! :P

Anonymous said...

Can you get the ones that just died? Are they still considered fresh to eat? Sorry if these are idiot questions.

Too Cute Pugs said...

We think we would love salmon very much although they do look a bit scary.

But we would really love x-ray vision!!! We bet you can find treats anywhere they are hiding.

Pug love from,
Pearl & Daisy

Frances Louise said...

Mommy won't let me eat the ones that are dead (even though they smell yummy!); she is afraid that they have been dead too long (especially the ones with flies on them).

Actually, you really shouldn't even try to eat the ones that are running upstream -- by the time they leave the ocean, they are literally dying. That's why the fishermen all avoid fishing along the streams and creeks for the salmon.